Citizenship of the Dominican Republic
Residence and Citizenship of Dominican Republic
This program was created to attract foreign capital to contribute to the economic growth and social development of the Dominican Republic. It is intended for individuals of all nationalities who are interested in expanding their investment in an economically and politically stable environment.
- Provide a certificate of good conduct and have a clean medical record.
- Have sufficient capital in net worth.
- Invest a minimum amount of USD $200,000 in the Dominican Republic, or prove sufficient foreign passive monthly income.
- Obtain a Certificate of Foreign Investment Registration issued by CEI-RD (Export and Investment Center).
- The applicant and immediate family obtain Dominican Residency which leads to citizenship.
- The country offers Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in a friendly environment/tax-friendly.
- The investment is protected through multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC).
- Dominican Republic offers quality life standards.
- The amount invested is guaranteed.
Make a minimum investment of USD $200,000 in the Dominican Republic. Investment is permitted in all sectors; however, free zones and tourism are the most attractive sectors for foreign investors. Other areas like agriculture, mining, construction, electricity, telecommunications, and manufacturing are leading and important sectors as well
2. Retiree/foreign passive income:*
- Retirees must show a minimum of USD $1,500 in monthly retirement income plus USD $250 monthly for each dependent;
- Other passive income earners (including rental income, dividend, or other investment returns) must show a minimum of USD $2,000 in monthly income plus USD $250 monthly for each dependent.
*Applicants must prove income was earned monthly over the past 5 consecutive years.
Once the investment is deposited in a bank account, the applicant will need to obtain the Certificate of Foreign Investment (issued in one month), and then the residency application should be submitted with the necessary documents.
The residency approval takes an average of 3 months. After 6 months of permanent residency, the applicant is eligible to apply for citizenship. Processing time for citizenship applications is 2-3 months.
Dominican Republic Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Dominican Republic considered safe to live in?
The Dominican Republic has one of the lowest crime rates among the Caribbean countries.
2. What should I do to invest the minimum amount of USD $200,000?
First, you have to open a bank account in the Dominican Republic and deposit the amount requested to get a reference letter. The reference letter then needs to be submitted to the Dominican Republic Export and Investment Center to get the Certificate of Investment in order to start the investment.
For more information, please fill out our Free Assessment
and find out if you qualify.