Portugal Golden Residence Permit
Note: The Portuguese parliament recently passed that the property investments in Lisbon and Porto will no longer be eligible for the Portuguese Golden Visa from July, 2021.
Portugal Golden Residence Permit Program
The Portugal Golden Residency program for immigrant investors was launched by the Portuguese government in 2012. This program aims to attract high net worth individuals and their capital to Portugal for investment. This allows the Portuguese economy to grow and develop while the investor also benefits by gaining permanent residency in the EU, as well as the opportunity to obtain Portuguese citizenship.
- The applicant must be over 18 years.
- The applicant must meet one of the relevant 'Investment Options' listed below to qualify for permanent residency.
- The Applicant must spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal for the first year, then no less than 14 days each subsequent two-year period (this is called the stay requirement).
- It is necessary for the applicant to keep the investment for a period of 5 years.
- The applicant is required to provide proof of good character from their country of citizenship or residency.
- The applicant and immediate family are entitled to Portuguese residency after the investment is made.
- Once golden residency is issued to the applicant and family, they are then able to travel freely within the Schengen region without visa.
- The applicant is able to live, work, and study in Portugal.
- The applicant can apply for permanent residency in Portugal.
- Golden residence permit holders are eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship after 5 years.
- The minimum residency requirement is very easy and achievable.
Portugal Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the Golden Residency program grant you permanent residency right away?
- Creation of at least 10 permanent jobs in Portugal. OR;
- Make a minimum investment of EUR 500,000 by purchasing a real estate property. OR; if the applicant is willing to purchase a real estate property that was constructed at least 30 years ago, or is in an urban area in Portugal, then the minimum investment option is EUR 350,000 (reduced to EUR 280,000 if the real estate property located in a low-density area).
- Make a minimum capital investment of EUR 1 million to a financial institute in Portugal. OR;
- Make a minimum investment of EUR 350,000 in public or private research institutions that are a part of the national scientific or technological system. OR;
- Make a minimum investment of EUR 250,000 in something supporting arts or national heritage. OR;
- Make a minimum investment of EUR 500,000 in shares or in venture capital.
No, the Golden Residency Program is a temporary residency visa program where the visa is valid for one year only. However, you are entitled to renew it after two years. After five years, temporary residence holders may request a permanent residency permit.
2. Does Portugal recognize dual citizenship?
Yes, therefore you and your family can keep your original citizenship.
3. If I invest by purchasing a real estate property, when can I resell my property?
One of the requirements of this program is to hold the investment for a minimum period of 5 years, including real estate investments. Therefore, you will be able to resell your property after 5 years.
4. Can I include my family members in the Golden Visa application?
Yes, the applicant’s family members can apply for the “family reunion” option under the Golden Visa program in order to obtain residence permits. Family members included in this feature are the investor’s spouse, children and dependent family members. After five years, family members will be authorized permanent residency. After one year of permanent residency, family members are eligible to obtain Portuguese citizenship.
For more information, please fill out our Free Assessment
and find out if you qualify.;