The Portuguese Golden Visa Residence Program has proven to be the most admired program in Europe. First introduced in 2012, the Portugal Golden Visa provides eligible non-European Union applicants and their families members with full rights to live, work and study in Portugal.
The Portuguese Golden Visa Residence Permit obtained through the golden visa program allows the holder to travel throughout the EU Schengen zone. After five years, it gives holders the right to apply for citizenship in Portugal.
The minimum investment requirement for Portugal Golden Visa’s investment fund alternative is EUR350,000. However, In February 2021, the Portuguese government announced that the Portuguese Golden Visa Residence Program rules in respect of the minimum qualifying investment amount under the Golden Visa Funds option were to be amended. As of 1 January 2022, the minimum investment amount required qualifying for the Portuguese Golden Visa Residence Program via an investment fund or venture capital fund will jump up to EUR 500,000.
To meet the criteria, the venture capital fund or investment fund must be registered with at least 60% of the investment being invested in a commercial business with a head office in Portugal.
Investing into a Portuguese-regulated qualifying investment is the best tax and cost competent alternative offered to foreign investors who intend to apply for the Portugal GVRP and at this time offers the following benefits:
- Lower investment level: Minimum investment requirement of EUR 350,000;
- A fully managed solution: Venture Capital Funds are managed by a fund manager with the inside awareness to manage an individual’s investment portfolio and maximize the investors’ equity stake.
- Carefully regulated by the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM): Venture Capital Funds are regulated and have to comply with the rules set by the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM). This means Fund Managers are regular audited by third parties and meet the highest levels of competence, clearness and due diligence.
- A variety of assets classes to opt to;
- No initial property transfer tax (IMT), stamp duty, land registry or conveyancing fees;
- 0% tax related to the purchase or sale of units;
- Exemption from corporate income tax ;
- 0% income tax rate for most non-tax residents of Portugal;
- Only 10% income tax rate for tax residents of Portugal.
For more information on Portugal’s Golden Residence Permit Program, please click here.
To view our Citizenship and Residency Programs by Investment in Real Estate comparison table, please click here.
Fill out our Free Assessment to see if you qualify for any of the immigration programs offered.
Please contact us to discuss your personal requirements, investment opportunities or to request further information.